Sponsors have the honor of being chosen as a witness to the Confirmandi’s initiation into full Christian life as expressed in the Catholic faith. Through this sacrament, the Confirmandi is strengthened by the power of the Holy Spirit, made a true witness of Christ in word and deed, and invited more deeply into the life of the Church. Your most significant role in relation to him/her is to be a role model of such witness and unifying love.
- Be at least 18 years of age, confirmed, mature person of faith
- Reflects Catholic Christian values in word, worship and service
- May be male or female, may be the Godparent, may NOT be the parent
- Participates in the activities of the 2-year process with the candidate
- Meets personally with candidate on a regular basis to share faith
- Friendly, trustworthy and a good listener
- Advisable that sponsor is an active member of the parish, but not required
Each sponsor will receive a copy of the Chosen Sponsor’s Guide from their candidate. This guide not only instructs the sponsor how to fulfill their role, but is an opportunity to revisit and rekindle their faith. It includes an overview of a sponsor’s role, conversation starters, Top Ten Catholic questions that your candidate may approach you with, and more. Candidates are to give the Sponsor’s Guide to their sponsors, either in person or by mail.